8 Ways To Use Temporary Tattoos (Besides Wearing Them)




Who doesn’t love a good temporary tattoo? They come in endless varieties, reflect your style, and can completely transform your vibe. The one not so great thing about them is that they are very temporary. Yes, I know this is the whole point of TEMPORARY tattoos, but the fact that my favorite design will be no more after a few days can make me weary of actually using it. (I can’t be the only one right???). So, I did a little experimenting and found eight ways to use temporary tattoos besides putting them on your skin. These are all really simple DIYs because tattoos stick to just about any surface and you can apply them with just water, the same way you put them on skin. For a detailed account of how I prep, apply, and seal my tatted items, head to my last article, “How To Put Temporary Tattoos On Any Ceramic Surface” (I know some of the upcoming items aren’t actually ceramic, but I used the same process for them too). 

Side note: All the tattoos I used for these projects are my own designs. If you’d like to purchase or see more designs, they are available on my website here.


1. Coasters

DIY coasters have been really popular lately. Make your own by putting tattoos on ceramic tiles. Just coat with resin, back with cork and voila! 


2. Dishes

I got this ceramic dish a year ago from the dollar store. It was the first thing I thought to put a tattoo on and I absolutely love how it turned out. All I did was stick the tattoo on, wait for it to dry and then add a layer of resin to protect the design and add depth. Now I use it to hold my jewelry and other small items. 






3. Ornaments

I love Christmas, but the one thing it’s lacking is rainbows. So, I decorated my tree with these rainbow hexagon Christmas ornaments! The one on the left is sealed with varnish, the right with resin.



4. Frame it

Treat your temporary tattoos like a piece of art and put them in a frame! Just apply the design to a piece of paper like you would on your skin and stick in it a frame. I even painted my frame to match the tattoo colors.




5. Mugs

Spruce up a plain mug with some temporary tattoos for an easy gift or keep it for yourself. Apply your tattoos and seal with mod podge. This mug already had a crack in it so I use it to hold pens and such. If you plan to actually drink from your mug, use several coats of dishwasher safe mod podge and follow the curing directions on the bottle. I’d suggest washing tattooed mugs gently by hand, but I haven’t tested it yet so do so at your own risk.






6. Water bottle 

After seeing how amazing this galaxy butterfly water bottle turned out, I’m sad I recycled an old dinged up bottle for this project instead of buying a fresh new one… It’s still awesome though! 




7. Rocks

I didn’t actually make this project because I still haven’t found that perfect rock, but check out these tattooed rocks from ilovepaintedrocks.com



8. Pots

Another idea I think is great but haven’t done yet is adorning plant pots with some colorful tattoos. Because plant friends deserve to wear tattoos too right? Here's a great tutorial from http://pagingfunmums.com



Hopefully these projects have inspired you to decorate your own home with temporary tattoos. Have another idea for a tattoo project? Comment below! 






Comments

Popular Posts