Adventures in Collaging Part 1




If you follow me on Instagram, you may have noticed that my latest artistic obsession is collage made using tiny hexagon shapes. For years I admired the way collage artists mix objects, patterns, and themes to create something entirely new, but it wasn’t until I started thinking of ways to combine my separate painting styles that I considered creating collages myself. The idea was actually born out of frustration over not being able to “stick to” a specific style, and that I even had to pick just one type of art to practice when they all reflect different aspects of myself and what I want to share with the world. To me, these colorful collages are the perfect marriage of abstract, realistic, and geometric styles. 

To make my collages, I use original paintings on yupo, bristol, and acrylic paper- basically anything that is acid free and easily cut into hexagons. For paintings on canvas and wood panel, I make prints on Kodak Professional Endura paper and cut those instead. Recycling these paintings and turning them into something new has been just as compelling as making realistic-abstract hybrids. As I started placing pieces together, I realized that this is actually how I think of my own paintings and how I want to them be seen by others- as tiny elements strung along to create something greater. When someone looks at these collages, I want them to appreciate both the individual hexagons, which are tiny paintings in themselves, and the larger image these units create. 

In my next blog post, I'll give a rundown of each of the ten collages in this collection and a little bit about what went in to making them.

This collection and some fine art prints will be available for purchase on my website soon. Sign up for my mailing list here to be the first to know when this collection is released. In the meantime, you can see close up and progress shots on my instagram profile. Thank you for reading!

-Sabrina




Comments

Popular Posts