Why Hexagons?



Whenever someone sees my work for the first time, they almost always ask me “why hexagons?” And my answer is usually something along the lines of ”I don’t know, I just like the way they fit together.” 

The funny thing is, I wouldn’t even say hexagons are my favorite shape. In fact, if there was a lineup of shapes in front of me I would probably pick a circle or triangle over hexagon. I never had a natural attraction to them when I was little and my house isn’t filled with hexagon-themed decor like my followers probably assume.

So when did my fascination with hexagons begin? I think it was back in July 2017 when I started painting coaster sets with hexagon ceramic tiles from the hardware store. After making a couple sets I had the idea to make a mural or table with the tiles, but with no budget or space for a project like that I let the idea fade away. (By the way, I still think hexagon mosaic wall or floor or tabletop would look really cool. If you are interested in having something like that in your space, please please please reach out!) 

At the end of that year and the beginning of 2018 I started doing rainbow hexagon paintings on canvas and wood. I’m not sure how or when I got the idea for those pieces but it was probably from the seed planted by seeing those hexagon coasters arranged together.

The goal of these paintings was to achieve a balance of color and value that was satisfying to look at. And while I enjoyed making them, they felt a bit one dimensional and didn't really say all that I wanted to say. My desire for each hexagon to have perfectly straight clean lines was also frustrating because I’m a human not a robot. So after a few paintings I abandoned the hexagon concept yet again. 

Fast forward to July 2018 and I still had hexagons on the brain apparently. I was trying to think of a way to combine my love of abstract, realistic, and geometric art into one piece because I felt they were all part of me as an artist. That’s when I started making collages with hexagon shaped fragments of old paintings. (I dive deeper into how that idea evolved here and explain the stories behind my first few collages here.)

Even though I keep coming back to them, it wasn’t until I started writing an artist statement about my collages that I asked myself why I was working with hexagons. After some reflection, I realized that a lot of my work (current and in the past) relates to the concept of structure vs fluidity. I love the idea of using structured units to form a cohesive whole, while also breaking down something seamless like a color gradient into segments. Hexagons are the perfect shape for illustrating this dichotomy because they are highly structured and industrial-feeling by themselves, yet they join together in an unmistakably organic way.

I also want my collages to make the viewer aware of the interconnectedness of all things. The way each image relates to and influences what I put next to it is a reminder that nothing exists in isolation; we are all a part of a whole and affect others much more than we first realize. The way hexagons naturally fit together makes them the perfect vehicle for delivering this message as well. 

One last reason I enjoy working in a hexagon pattern because it is easy to build upon and you can always see where the next one is going to go. This is not the case with repeating squares or triangles which form a complete finished pattern relatively quickly. 

Hopefully that long-winded explanation answers the question “why hexagons?” Finally my fascination with the way they fit together and the message I want to communicate through my art have matched up! 



Comments

Popular Posts